Progress Forward & Shiny Graphics!

3 Comments
Posted 30 Mar 2012 in Uncategorized

This week, my group got quite a lot done! Kelsey got a lot of the transcripts edited, Laura worked on getting more information posted on our website, and Michelle uploaded the best of the story subclips we made to vimeo. Kelsey and I brainstormed about different ways we could advertise the website and the symposium presentation. We determined that we could try to do lots of campus-wide advertisements. We want to put up fliers around campus, especially in the James Farmer Multicultural Center. We also want to paint the rock, and do chalk drawings around campus. We also got some really good ideas during our presentation – specially, focusing a lot of our efforts at advertising around the James Farmer bust in front of Trinkle.

Today, I spent several hours playing around with AfterEffects to design an intro graphic for the video. Since stills or clips of the lectures aren’t very visually interesting, I took a photos from the Library of Congress of Farmer speaking and used that as the background of the graphic. I had a lot of fun playing around with what I could do – I used the light and camera options in AE, and 3D modeling. I had never really done any of this before (the closest I’d ever done was tracking a graphic to video) so it was a real learning experience! But I am really pleased with the result of my efforts. I uploaded the graphic I made to youtube, and you can view it below. If you have any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear them! I tried to make the graphic pretty basic and relatively simple – it didn’t make sense for the opening graphic to be too flashy. After all, this is just a filmed lecture series. However, if you think I should try and spice it up some more, please let me know!

3 Comments

1. kmatthews

You have been like a video editing all-star this whole time! The graphic looks great and I can’t wait to see it with the audio in it! (I’m working on organizing that and all that jazz!)

2. amodernselkie

Thanks! And you know, I considered adding the original music… but somehow, I felt it didn’t quite work. 🙂 Actually, I have been messing around with the graphics some more, and I found some jazz music I found (with appropriate copyright) in.

I am looking forward to marketing our project! I think it will be quite fun. It is interesting trying to get people’s attention around campus!

3. kay21w

The trailer looks really neat, but I am surprised that you left out the exciting music from the other videos…Just kidding! Seriously though, the tailor looks great!

I was so glad that your group mentioned how you all plan on advertising the site in your presentation. Although we have added a Facebook Like button to our site, I think we could be doing more to advertise our work on campus.